Sep 4, 2011

Life isn't always about work

Balance! Isn't that what everyone tells you you should have when you're stressed or working too much? I think I'm finally starting to realize that life isn't always about working. I figured it out when I was taking my dogs for a walk this morning. You see school started last week and it's completely INSANE. There are schedules to make, labels to put on books, duotangs to sort out, lessons to plan, books to organize, systems to change, book boxes to fill. The list is endless and if you're like me, you've got about 5 of them on the go, each one having something different on it to do. While out walking on a beautiful day, I was going to cut the walk short. I'd been thinking about all the things I needed to do at school and I wanted to get them done.  But I also needed to go grocery shopping and take the Goodwill items in along with laundry, etc, etc, you know where I'm going with the list of house stuff that needs to get done. 

Instead of short changing my dog's walk, I decided that it was more important for me to be outside enjoying the last days of summer and time with my dogs. School needs to start taking a back seat. I've always been one to spend hours there. I won't be able to do this anymore. My master's course starts this Wednesday and  I'm starting to panic, just a bit. It's the not knowing what's involved that's bothering me and how am I going to juggle everything.

On the first day of school when I spent till 8:00 there, I was wondering 'How am I going to fit it all in?' I know that it will get done and I know I'll do a good job but that's not it. It's that my free time won't be free anymore. It's going to be reading, writing papers and doing assignments along with commenting on what others are doing. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to starting and learning more about math, it's just not knowing the work involved. I can't get access to the Moodle course until Tuesday and it's making me crazy. Well, not literally crazy but just the anticipation of wanting to see what's involved is what's bothering me. 

I know how important it is to take care of yourself and I'm still planning on getting up and walking on the treadmill in the a.m. I'm loving that again. I feel so much better about myself and I've got way more energy. I think schools going to have to end at 5:00 everyday, so if it means shutting my door and getting my work done then so be it. I think Darcy's going to be in for a surprise as well. There's more cooking and laundry in his future. I'll relax for a bit, cook dinner, walk the dogs and then start in on my course load. We'll see how this schedule works out.

After writing, I'm feeling much better. After working at school on Saturday and Sunday I came home, had some cereal (Shreddies...of course) and headed out for another walk to enjoy the beautiful evening. I'm so glad that we've got another day off because I'm going to take full advantage of it and relax. Maybe even read for a bit, probably one of my course books but that's okay. I might even suggest hitting some balls at the driving range. Darcy might just fall over when I suggest this. Have a fantastic rest of your weekend and remember, life isn't about working all the time but getting out and living it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you girl! I'm also seeking to balance the load this year and NOT staying after school like a crazy obsessed person. I hope you find the balance that you seek!
    Erika 【ツ】
    Wild About 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same to you Erika. School is CRAZY busy right now. I know it will eventually slow down.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comments.